Ascend Archive

(ASCEND) Data filter/performance problem

  A Windows 95 user with a modem dials into our MAX 4004 (5.0Ap1) and uses
  IBM's Client Access to get to their AS/400 (using IP).  If I use the  RADIUS
  profile below without any data filters, the connection to the AS/400 is very
  quick, only a few seconds to connect:

  johndoe         Password = "ACE", Ascend-Token-Immediate = 1
                  User-Service = Framed-User,
                  Framed-Protocol = PPP,
                  Ascend-Route-IP = Route-IP-Yes,
                  Ascend-Route-IPX = Route-IPX-No,
                  Ascend-Idle-Limit = 28800

  However, I would prefer to limit them with access only to the AS/400.  So I
  added this:
                  Ascend-Data-Filter = "ip in forward dstip 157.239.20.250/32"

  With this filter in, the connection to the AS/400 takes more than 3 minutes.
  Ping, telnet, and everything else work fine.  A sniffer on the LAN showed
  little traffic, so apparently something is happening between the client and
  the MAX.

  Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot something like this on the MAX?

  Thanks,
  Dean Heltemes