Ascend Archive

RE: (ASCEND) Big modem pool

>From: Stephen Balbach <stephen@clark.net>
>> > We plan on having about 30 Max 4XXX's in 1 modem pool (about 60 PRI's)
>> >
>> > Are there any scaleability issues?
>
>On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Steve LaDuke wrote:
>
>> Have you considered using TNTs instead?
>>
>> Then you could get your PRIs over T3 lines.  I would think that the
>> real-estate, power, and leased line savings would really add up.
>
>I'd love to have a TNT but they are priced almost 3X as much, hard to
>justify. We are collocated at a CLEC switch so the line savings are
>minimal for a DS3 vs T1 PRIs.

Up front, the price difference between a few TNTs vs. a lot of 4000s
depends to large extent on how heavily you load the 4000s (three or four
PRIs each), and whether you happen to already have 30 4000s laying around.

In the long run, the right choice is going to be what works most reliably,
and with any luck your management understands that.

I think the key 4000 complaints to the list have tended to be stacking and
OSPF, and you're going to _rely_ on stacking _working_.

I happen to _be_ management here, and I opted for the TNT route, and not
for anything on your scale, either. The TNT was designed with your
situation in mind, and the 4000 series was not, and I think the list has
and will corroborate that.

The 6000 series may change the equation somewhat, but they're not TNTs either.

My two cents...

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com   The San Francisco Bay Area's
415-459-7991 x102     Macintosh Internet Service Provider
415-459-7992 fax      http://www.infoasis.com/