Ascend Archive

Re: (ASCEND) Everyone go buy a fan.

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Darkshot wrote:

> Jason Nealis wrote:
> >
> >  Agreed, Heres we have tremendous 7000CFM Dayton Industrial fans blowing
> > air through our MAX'S. You have to get air through those boxes as the
> > DSP's can get quite hot and affect modem performance.
> >

> We've been running fine all this time. I sent some guys out there to
> re-wire a few things and they straightened up the stack, and
> immediately started getting errors. Twisting them back around fixed
> it. Boy, that's touchy...

Maybe this PoP is situated on some sort of ley-line, and that's why your
Maxen have to be stacked at right angles? (I never saw anything in the
docs about good Feng Shui being required, though :-).

I one of my PoPs, the Max rack lives under the air-conditioner, and is
complete with grilled side doors and fan trays top and bottom for extra
ventilation.

In the other PoP, I'm fortunate enough to be in a proper FM suite,
complete with underfloor air-conditioning, which pushes the air up the racks.

Even with these measures, the 4000s used to get pretty warm. However, I'm
swapping over to 6000s now, and these rum much cooler, thanks to the
better fans.

Mike