Ascend Archive

Re: (ASCEND) NAT... E-mail

I would think that it is more likely that the SMTP server you are using is
doing a DNS lookup to find the site it is sending mail to. It is often
possible to tell the client software not to wait for the DNS lookup to be
done. The way to test this is to send two emails in quick succession. The
second time should be much quicker, as the DNS entry will be cached.

Cheers,

Joel

>It might be looking for an identd port on your local box which it wouldn't
>be able to find w/o a static mapping.
>
>Tell your ISP to turn this feature off on their mail software and it
>should be speedy again.  We had this problem and had the feature turned
>off.  Kind of strange it's on by default since I don't think most PCs/Macs
>have an identd server built-in. :)
>
>> From: David Routh <ascend@davlin.net>
>> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 14:57:06 -0500
>> Subject: (ASCEND) NAT... E-mail
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I've been using NAT on a p75 with pretty good success except for one
>>thing...
>>
>> When I send e-mail it takes about 25 seconds to send it.  It finds the mail
>> server right away but then sits for about 25 seconds before it finally
>> sends. It retrieves it just fine.  The p75's on 5.1A9 I believe...
>>
>> It's just one machine on the network using 192.168.100.xxx/24 numbers.
>>
>> Any ideas on what I'm missing...
>>
>> Thanks, David
>

>++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
>To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request@bungi.com
>To get FAQ'd:	<http://www.nealis.net/ascend/faq>

Joel Smith
First Software
Market St		+44 (0)1344 401111	+44 (0)468 803758 (mobile)
Bracknell RG12 1QD      Fax +44 (0)1344 401100