Ascend Archive

Re: (ASCEND) Am I the only one ??

>I have just been examining my logs and have noticed that if k56 or
>v.90 is used the users back channel is never a greater speed than
>28800, I thought the standard was 33600.
>
>Which should it be ??
>
>Gary

The standard indeed says 33600, just like it says 56000 in the other
direction.  But on real lines it's often reduced to 31200 or 28800.

Reason?  To reduce interference to the downstream. (Data goes in two
directions on the same "copper wire", remember?)  Most echo and
interference can be compensated, but sadly enough not 100%.

Forcing 33600 upstream may reduce downstream speed instead, and
probably more than gained in upstream.  Thus I guess it's a fair
tradeoff.