RE: (ASCEND) 7.10.6 software for the DSL MAX 20

Actually everyone, ignore Ascends claim of a thousand PVC's on a DSL
Terminator....It's 64 - that's right, 64 PVC's using the built-in profiles.
If you are silly enough to want to do more then that, IE going to RADIUS,
there is NO WAY to control the traffic shaping/speeds of any of the RADIUS
permconn profiles. (yes, we use that CPE bridged to DSLAM and even bridged
through the Terminator scenario)

We have a DS3 circuit (That should support 1000 PVC's yes?) from the Telco
DSLAM and in the Terminators DS3 config you can specify traffic shapers that
throttle back the speeds, then in the connection profiles, again in the
Terminator you can specify which traffic shaper to use.  Good so far...till
you try RADIUS.  No way to specify that traffic shaper so guess what?  Each
customer gets a wide open (up to 45Mbps) connection.  All using Traffic
Shaper Profile 16 which is the default and guess what again?  You cannot
change the default Traffic Shaper Profile.

So we are being forced to *give* free upgrades from 384/128Kbps (which is
what most of our clients are paying for) to instead the 1.5Mbps speeds that
NV Bell supports on most of the lines.  Nice eh?  Due to Ascend/Lucent if we
want more then 64 DSL customers they all get to surf at T1 speeds for the
price of 384Kbps.

And if I sound a little bitter it is because for 11 days now Ascend/Lucent
has been promising to get us beta code that had this support...then when I
complained yesterday that we *needed* this support, *now*...oops, it's not
going to be supported in the new code...we'll have TAC look at it.
Meanwhile we are being forced to give bandwidth away...or turn customers
away.  Not a fun choice.

Randy E. Reinhardt
randy@pyramid.net <mailto:randy@pyramid.net>
System Administrator