(ASCEND) Re: SNMP/FTP to remotely load configuration files

Several years ago I wanted to do the snmp/ftp thing to change our
P50/P75 passwords on a periodic basis, but the password fields were not
updatable via ftp.  In discussing it with Ascend, I was told this was
intentionally disabled since the tftp was done in the clear, thus
transferring the passwords in the clear was deemed insecure.

My problem then was that we had enough units in the field to make manual
updates untenable, and I needed to change them when/if another sys admin
left our company.

I argued then that the risk of someone sniffing my tftp session was
significantly less than the risk of stale passwords, but to no avail.

If nothing else, it seemed to me it should be optional, so that I as the
administrator can choose which risk is acceptable to me, rather than
having Ascend decide for me.

I haven't looked into this in the recent past - has it been fixed to
allow the customer to decide what level of risk is acceptable, i.e., can
we now update the passwords via the ftp of a config file?

John

John C. Day,  Gilroy, CA, USA    jcday@garlic.com