(ASCEND) Re: FTPs stalling with MAX 6006

>From: Josh Howard <jrh@vicor-nb.com>
>
>On a MAX 6006, running version 6.1.24, when you attempt to send or
>receive a file over the frame relay network (we have an internal FR
>network), the connection will hang after some, as far as I can tell,
>indeterminate amount of time, then simply time out. The sendq on the
>sending machine will fill up like it's getting no ACK's back, then
>it'll just die. Now, the reason why I've got any indication this might
>be the MAX is that there are many other sites configured almost
>exactly the same which don't have this sending problem, and when
>sending between machines on the local LAN, there are none of these
>problems, only when it attempts to go over the WAN.
>Now, the odd thing is, that only certain types of files will
>hang. Compressed files (with gzip(1) or compress(1)) will always send
>fine, as far as I can tell, UUencoded and most text files send, but
>'straight' binaries and EBCDIC files will hang.
>So, we have a few 6006s and 4004s out there at similarly configured
>sites doing the exact same thing, with the same types of ftp traffic
>which succeed, but on this one site, they just hang...
>Could the MAX be doing some oddball compression on the link? Is the
>carrier or RBOC at fault? It'd be nice to know that I'm not completely
>alone in all this.

IME, this sort of thing can be frame slips caused by timing
mismatches between the routers and the lines. Often, mail attachments
will also stall, but other traffic such as HTTP goes fine.

Check for slips and other errors on your lines.

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/