Re: (ASCEND) TNT turned off?

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Tony Ray wrote:

> Okay, the TNT doesn't have an off switch, but last night I had one simply
> turned itself off.  The fans kept running but all the indicator lights were
> out and stayed out until I removed the power and then powered it back up.
>
> Looking at the fatal error log it appears that on three other ocassions in
> the last two months, this TNT has completely shutdown and restarted on its
> own.  Apparently, this time it did not restart.
>
> The error log shows no error messages from the controller or any shelf.  Has
> anyone seen this or have a guess what is happening?

This indicates to me that your power supply(ies) are overloaded.  We had
this happen when we got just over half of the chassis full of cards.

Ascend now makes 2 type of TNT power supplies.  The older one can only
handle about 6-9 cards (depending on type) with a single power supply.
Once it starts shutting off, you need to add the second power supply or go
to the newer ones.

This is fairly well known, but Ascend has trouble admitting that they so
badly engineered the original power supplies that they may give you a
run-around before telling you the truth.

					Mike Jackson
					TSCNet