Re: (ASCEND) 7.2.3 for the Max

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Oliver J Albrecht wrote:

> Why not use 7.0.X on the 4000? Depending on you configuration, 7.0.4
> will probably be just fine. It ran without problems for over 4 months
> on all our Maxen (2000 through 6000), until we updated them today to
> run 7.0.22 (the 4000's) and 7.2.3 (the rest). YMMV...

I've tried 7.0.22 and immediately ran into pausing problems so horrid that I
couldn't stand it.  Every couple minutes all data would just stop
transmitting, then resume...  Moving back to 6.1.24 resolved the problem.

> FWIW, if I remember right, 6.1.X included the infamous HDLC zombie bug
> up to around 6.1.7. Was that ever fixed in that branch? I remember we
> went right to the 7.0 betas due to this one. 7.0.4 was definitely the
> most stable release we ever ran on an Ascend box so far.

Aside from the modem code problems in 6.1.24 with Winmodems, it has been the
most stable release for us.  Every other release we've tried has been
complete and utter shit.  (Right lmb?)  I cannot understand why Ascend lets
these releases out with such obvious problems.  And I cannot understand why
another 6.1.x release was not released with updated modem code.  Insane.

-- Still a pissed off Ascend user...hoping to be an EX-Ascend user.