(ASCEND) Solved MAX checksum modems issue

Just wanted to share our findings on and strange case when modems in
our MAX 1800/4000/6000 got into "checksum" state, avoiding more analog
modem users to connect when there were no idle modems.

This obliged us to reset the MAXen, which is not a very nice thing to
do, as you could imagine. It's a luck that only smaller POPs were
suffering this with higher incidence.

Dialup users routing information was advertised using OSPF, and
routers where typically cisco 2500.

Well, we couldnt find out why the modems stayed in checksum. We blamed
(and keep doing it) on our telco PRIs programming, which changed the
same time this problem started.

Our suspects are that the routers had very little free memory,
sometimes couldnt even process OSPF updates, and this, in some way,
affected the initialization phase of the modem cards.

Solution: Put more RAM (that's the more expensive, slower one), or
change routing protocol to RIPv2. Doing this, routers had about 950kbs
more, and the modems are working ok since then.

--
Jonathan Ruano Pach                Email: <kobalt@pobox.com>
ICQ:1252101 AIM:Tlabok IRC:Kobalt  Homepage: http://www.pobox.com/~kobalt/