Re: More Thoughts.

>  Alchemy:  Sure, hauling it back to town may be realistic, but with
> word of recall (or even dimensions door), distance becomes much less
> a factor.  Also, in many cases, all that distance does is add
> time (random monsters don';t exist, and you can kill all the monsters
> before you get to your destination.  Although, depending on the map
> reset time, this may vary..)

 It is sort of possible to have random monsters through some devious map-making.
What I have done in some of my new maps is put some generators in some
unaccessible rooms containing one way teleporters. As monsters generate, they
wander into a teleport and appear somewhere on the map. As there is no way
to get at the generators, monsters can always repopulate the map. If you
do this it is very important that you reduce the speed of the generators,
otherwise the map is flooded with monsters. (This technique is really just
to provide some challenge or surprise on the way back out, not to overwhelm
to players).
 Another way is to have some monsters behind gates which are opened near the
end of the map (sort of like the bakery)

Rupert