Ideas

Just a few thoughts on a couple of recent messages...

> Scale: Perhaps different scale for different maps.  For example, must
> dungeons and towns would be scale 1 (no change.)  However, outdoors (outside
> of towns), the scale might be something different.  Then, when you meet
> something, the game loads an encounter map for that terrain, and
> you are placed on it (like (at least) some of the Ultimas did.)  As such
> one monster image on the outside map may actually be half a dozen.
> Likewise, if the party wishes, they can be grouped into one image
> to move with.

Do you have ESP ?   This message arrived just as I was composing one saying
almost exactly the same thing !!

> Ooutside maps:  Having them be the same side (I know, boo hiss), and
> have automatic overlapping would be need.  For example, outside
> maps are 24x24 (lets say).  AS you get near the edge of one, it loads
> the adjacant map, and you can travel onto it just by stepping
> on over there (if you are at 5,0 and move north, you then are
> at 5,23 on the other map.)  Only maps that want to be part of
> the tiling need to be so constricted.  Also, some additional information
> would need to be added to the map file (something like north_map: (map1)
> east_map: (map2), west_map: none, ...)  Where these
> represent what map it borders along that edge.

It's a good idea, but I think the implementation would be tricky.

The major development would be allowing monsters to travel between the maps.
I would imagine this would involve a dramatic increase in memory useage.

> ...what crossfire is and where it is heading.  Here are some key
> differences between games:

> Mine would strictly be single user.
> Mine would have a party of adventureres controlled by 1 person.
> Monster workings would probably be different (have random, but probably
>	no generators.)
> Some items would be different.

> I think there were some others, but its been a long day for me.

> I really don't know why I am saying this here.  Maybe to get some
> thoughts?  Do people think that crossfire can work equally well as both
> multiplayer and single user games?

No

I think that the main attraction of Crossfire (to me) is the multiplayer
facility.

If a single-player game were to be developed, it would need to be
quite different, to make up for the loss.  I believe that much more time
would need to be devoted to good graphical appeal, similar to some of
the more recent Graphical Adventure games available on the PC.  (I
forget the name of the company, is it Strategic Simulations ?).

Even so, I would probably stick to PC's for that sort of game, and
Crossfire for Multiplayer.

After all, it's a great game !!

Austin Goudge.
asg@st-and.ac.uk