Re: map design

From: quinet@montefiore.ulg.ac.be (Raphael Quinet)

    [about map hierachy]

I think that in the next version this is done. I have organized my own
maps same way like Petri, ie. every multimap building is its own
directory. Minimal documentation of map-set might include all
"off-area exits"  ie. exits which are required to enter/leave area,
so map-sets would be easily rearrenged if needed.

> - Most new players have some difficulty to find some interesting maps to
>   begin with.  The beginner's level was a very useful addition to the
>   crossfire world, but we should go one step further : insert a message near
>   the entrance of the largest buildings and cities.  Each message would give
>   some info about the map, its main features, what kind of players should
>   enter it, and (at least in the debug versions) the name of the people
>   who wrote it.

Messages are useful describle areas at least recommented level of players.
And authors names are good way get feedback their maps. I think that some
mapinfo command would be very useful (and easy implement ;). Signs are good
for beginners area, since easier to use, but beginners aren't beginners
after a while. ;)

I like Frank's idea, that starting village contains best beginners areas
of game and maybe those areas could be introduced in the guidebook.
Other areas info would be nicer get playing the game, like talking
NPC's, visiting library and so on. This would required more interactivity
from players so you just can't kill everyone ;). One part of fun is find
out new things and places, IMHO.

>   I think that there are too few messages in the current maps.

Reason for this is quite clear since messages are quite new thing
and most maps are old.

> - The new maps should contain at least some of the new archetypes.

Look above. Most maps just needs to be updated.

> - Some NPC's should be smarter.  Use the @match command !

@match is nice start, but it is still very limited. You can do
interesting conversations between players and NPC's, and try
make somekind of plot to specific maps. One problem with NPC's
is that they are easy to kill (even accidentally). In server mode
if one kills sage, who knows password, all other players had to
wait reset. NPC's can be made harder to kill, but after player has
made one angry, it's not help much, especially low lever players.
Maybe some kind of punishment is required for killing friendly
NPC's. Any ideas?

I still wait script language making monsters and other object
behave individual (Any progress on this?)

 -Tero