Re: map design

>From: quinet@montefiore.ulg.ac.be (Raphael Quinet)
>- The LIBDIR/maps directory needs a bit of cleaning (I know this has already
>  been discussed on this list).  I suggest that we have one subdirectory for
>  each city or village, named after the city itself.  The maps should be
>  renamed, each having the name of the building or location it contains
>  (bearing in mind the 14 char. limit).  If some building needs more than
>  one map, we could use index numbers.  This would lead to something like
>  this in LIBDIR/maps :

I got following system (overall):
	0th level - myself :)	/ph
	1st level - continent	/ph/Island
	2th level - town	/ph/Island/Fireham
	3th level - house	/ph/Island/Fireham/Hole
	4th level - floors	/ph/Island/Fireham/Hole/First
	- in town level the town map itself is named as Town in every
	  town for polymorphism. And every other place I was tried
	  to increase it.
	- filenames between maps are always _relative_, exept the
	  entering maps in 1st level. this allows easier moving of
	  directories (= houses, holes, etc. ).

>  This way, we could get rid of all the maps.?? and have an easier way to
>  identify each map.

Yep and indeed. When I got my maps in maps-directory, there seems to be
a lot of maps to handle. Now, there seems to nothing to manage with.

>- Most new players have some difficulty to find some interesting maps to
>  begin with.  The beginner's level was a very useful addition to the
>  crossfire world, but we should go one step further : insert a message near
>  the entrance of the largest buildings and cities.  Each message would give
>  some info about the map, its main features, what kind of players should enter
>  it, and (at least in the debug versions) the name of the people who wrote it.
>  This could also help the experienced players to find the interesting
>  locations in the newest maps.  I think that there are too few messages in the
>  current maps.  (Note : I don't want to spoil the fun of the exploration; we
>  have to find a way to describe a map without telling too much about it.)

This message feature could be build into crossfire. Because, there
is in map-object in maps, a slot for message. It could be invoked
in command line e.g. "mapinfo".

>- The new maps should contain at least some of the new archetypes.

Making different looking archetypes is easy. Making diffrent behaving
archetypes, needs much more.

//   Petri Heinila   //   email: Petri.Heinila@lut.fi                 //
//                   //   mail:  Ainonkatu 2A                         //
//                   //          53100 Lappeenranta                   //
//                   //          Finland, Europe                      //