Crossfire v0.88.3

Joe Hartley wrote:
> Oh, yeah!  I'd love to see crossfire evolve into a set of smaller windows.
> F'rinstance, I don't really need all those message lines.  A dozen or so will
> do.  I'd love to be able to shrink it for most of the time, only opening it
> up for longer messages.

OK, I've done it!  From crossfire.man:

> OPTIONS
>      -w   Makes splitwindow default (see the resource for infor-
>           mation).
> RESOURCES
>      splitwindow
>           Default is off (unless switch -w is given).  If this is
>           turned on, all windows will be under the control of the
>           window manager.  That is, they can  be  placed  in  any
>           order, and some can be resized.

Three windows can be resized:  inventory, look-below and the text-window.
Maybe I'll even make the fonts configurable someday soon 8)

The result is put into version 0.88.3, which can be found at the
usual place (anonymous ftp ftp.ifi.uio.no, dir /pub/crossfire).
Files are "crossfire-0.88.3.tar.Z", "crossfire-0.88.3.maps.tar.Z" and
"crossfire-0.88.2-0.88.3.patch.Z".

The font, the archetype-file and the treasure-file has changed, remember
to install the new versions!

As usual, please report bugs to me as soon as you find them.
(I'm especially curious about how well the resizing works with
different windowmanagers).
Ideas & suggestions are of course also welcome.

Other new stuff:
- Got rid of the ugly hack which had separate functions for casting
  spells from monsters.  Now, if a monster contains an "ability"-object,
  it can use it to cast spells (see the end of "archetypes").
  The "treasures" file is used to distribute different abilities to
  the different monsters.
  BEWARE: This means that lots of monsters (which have been easy until now,
  because I didn't want to use the above-mentioned hack to give them spells)
  are now very tough since the've gotten the spells they were meant to
  have from the start!
  Of course, the maps haven't been constructed with this in mind,
  but c'est la vie... 8)
- Due to a bug in the Imakefile, the lib/README has been distributed
  instead of the src/README!
- Players can be affected by the "fear" spell 8)
- Used converters again...check armour shop 8)
- Magic-mouths works (and are visible in the editor)
- Several minor bugfixes...

-Frank.

P.S.  If you have patches for Linux, please send them to me!
P.P.S.  I don't believe the UNCOMPRESS macro is unnecessary.
P.P.P.S.  I'm still (always) interested in new graphics!
P.P.P.P.S.  The diff-files are never perfect...be warned.