Death

anvil@lysator.liu.se writes:
-> There hasss been a lot of talk about death, but since the game is
-> so easy at present I wonder why people want to implement resurrection etc.
->
-> To make xp a little less easy available I think there must be some
-> changes in many maps, where monsters are helplessly trapped and players
-> can kill them without any danger. Example of this is barn outside
-> S:t dominion and prison in Nameless town.
-> Also, the draining weapons, ie mournblade and stormbringer, are much too
-> good. A dragon gives you about 100k xp regardless of level. This featrue
-> makes it painfully easy to reach level 100...
->
	Now here is where alot of our argueing can be resolved. I
personally believe that its a little hash to reach high level and then
press a button wrong and die. So you know where I stand. Now other
people say its to easy, right? Well the way I play is not to take
advantage of places that are put in there to take advantage of. (ie
the farm house with the chinesse dragons, and the wyvern castle ) That
type of thing bores me to death (no pun). There is just as little
challenge to these type of maps as there is to not ever dying fully.
If you were to play the harder maps instead of the easy ones then then
you would die more. When we play we tend to have a "code" of coolness
in the game. You're actions in the game are suppossed to maintain a
certain level of coolness (this all honorary mind you nothing hard
coded). Taking advantage of those little game holes that make things
easier ( the "cheats" ) is uncool. The farmhouse and the wyvern castle
are uncool places to keep going to just to raise your experience level
(although we usually determine that going there once or twice is not
exceptionally cool but OK, but returning time after time after time is
not cool). Basically without our "code of coolness" the
best players would be those players who spent the most time in the lab
"geeking" ( playing crossfire to 7:00 am  when you started at 7pm ).
This is stupid. So instead we do not use the cheats. And back to the
point of my arguement, without useing these places we feel that the
game is to hard to just die for a single mistake if you've been
building up a character for awhile. The game should not discourage
exploration it should discourage stupidity and Charging right into
the heat of battle without thinking!

					God the Mighty
					matt@cs.odu.edu