Ok, Now What?

Crossfire version:  0.89.2
Computer:  Sparc 10
OS:  SunOS UNIX OS/MP 4.1.2
Compiler:  gcc -ansi

Ok, I have everything compiling beautifully (thanks again for the
stdarg.h advice), and I'm not getting any error messages when running
the program.

My problem, now, is that I can't log on a characters.

Here's what happens:

I run the server (or client) and the window comes up with "kitty the
human" as the player.  Kitty is the name of the sparc IPX I was
playing from.  The server was running on a sparc 10.  The right window
prompts me for my name.  For any combination I type, I get the
message: "That name is already in use."  I can't do anything else.
Any keyboard input is fed to the window that's asking for my name.
The mouse has no effect.

Here is the debbugging output:
cbs% Welcome to CrossFire, v0.89.2, copyright (C) 1992 Frank Tore Johansen.
arch-pass 1...done
Setting up archetable...done
arch-pass 2...done
Matching fonts to crossfire: 1 (crossfire)
Opening add user socket on 13326
Saving map map.04 (4)

I receive no error messages when I enter my name.  I only get: "That
name is already in use." in the right window of the game.

I think I've read all the doc and README files that came with the
server source.  I didn't see anything on the ftp site that seemed like
it had information that would help.  Is there something I haven't read
that someone could refer me to?  Anyone know what's wrong this time?

I thought it might have something to do with LOCK_PLAYER in the
config.h file, but when I commented it out or undefined it, nothing
changed.

So, can you tell my how I can make players and log them on?

Thanks again,

Jon