Re: A few thoughts on client/server in multi-player games

On Tue, 12 Apr 1994, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

> PS: This a slightly simpler, faster and more correct atoi ;-)
>
> short int = atoi(char *str) {
>   while (isdigit(*str))            /* table lookup, one step */
>     res = res*10 + (*str++) - '0'; /* three steps */
> }
> /* atoi("123") requires 3*4 + 1 = 13 steps */

Yes, this sounds better, I put this into pocket :)

> Fred Brooks wrote (in "The Mythical Man-month", I think) that
> premature optimising is the biggest of all programming evils.

Hmm, well he seems to be more than right.

Maybe the discussion focused wrong, like bin vs. ascii. It
would more needed to think about the protocol as a model now.
And the implemented it in ascii or bin. And I guess, that
if there is good interface that server and client uses into
protocol, it doesn't show or matter is it ascii or binary.

Like a begin, I draw a OSI reference model :-p :-)

	CrossServer/CrossClient
	------------
	application	- the CrossFire-API up
	------------
	presentation	- data's (like object in point) coded with ASN.1
	------------	  or whitout
	session		- session is a null layer
	transport	- TCP/UDP
	network		- UDP