Re: Coins

> This is a forwarding of a discussion that Kjetil Torgrim Homme
><kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> and I have had about value of coins and gems.

	 A quick summary was that he thought platinum and gold should be worth
	more (1 pp = 12 gp = 144 sp was his initial suggeted). In his last
	message, he suggested adding copper coins to replace silver, and bump
	everything up in value.

  I'm actually very happy with the current coin system.  I think some
prices are screwed up, like that for food, but I think the solution is
to screw around with those, not with the coin system.

>their head.  Also, any change in coin values could greatly affect
>saved players.

	 Perhaps.  What might be better is to make GEMS worth a lot more
	money (in AD&D, a pearl is worth abou 100 gp, both rubies and diamonds
	aroudn 1000-5000 GP).

  Gems are a pretty heterogeneous lot.  I see all the current gems as
being sort of semi-precious.  There are big diamonds of high value, and
little ones of moderate value.  In real life, the little ones are sold
by weight, and the prices for these are just about right!  Large, valuable
gems are very rare, little itty bitty ones are not.

  I'd rather see a new class of more precious types of gems than changes.
I made the power_crystal archetype ridiculously valuable so it could serve
this purpose.

>	 Obviously, in gems increase is value, the number you find would be less.

  Ordinary gems should stay as they are, artifact-level-rarity/value gems
should be as common as the artifacts.....

  I think the charisma bonus right now is far too extreme for treasure.
I think there should be at most a 30% difference between 10 and 30,
instead of a 200% or more as it is.  A merchant who priced his stuff in
that way would be put out of business quickly.

>	 As a person who plays AD&D (first edition), copper coins are almost never
>	used because they are wroth so little.  Even when low level parties find
>	2,000 cp, they might leave it behind due to weight.  Also, in soem games,

Crossfire would have exactly the same problem....

Regards,

PeterM