Re: damages from various spells--balancing!

In message <199408150034.AA27191@bolero.rahul.net>, Mark Wedel writes:
> Some balancing is probably needed.  But I gather that those totals
>are theoretical maximums.  For most area of efect spells, you are unlikely
>to get the
  Exactly, Mark, I thought I'd mentioned that....

>the spell caster (where the cone and bolt spells do not). Also,
>adjustment of any of the first level spells needs to be
>considered carefully - the cost certainly can not be raised much,
>or first level characters won't be able to cast them.

  I wasn't going to touch either small fireball or burning hands.
These would form the baseline for all the rest, forming the standards
by which the other spells were judged.

  One of the things I must look at is how much damage a 1-square
monster in the spell-path would take.  Shockwave, despite its
high damage value, doesn't seem that effective!  I've had much
better luck with dragonbreath at killing things, back when dragonbreath
was allowed for players to use.

  Like you (Mark) said, careful thought is going to be required.

Regards,

PeterM