Re: Can you pause the game

On Tue, 23 Aug 1994, William Rhea wrote:

> >  That 'quit hack (which holds you invulnerable) should probably be fixed.
> > It also opens the game up to abuse (ie, you are near death, do that, and
> > then what for your comrades to come rescue you.)
>
> Perhaps there should be time restrictions on commands? Although this
> would ruin the 'quit hack of the original question stated in the Subject.

It seems that this is going to too complex to handle, there will
exists too if's for cheating issues.

> >  I think the simple fact is, that being that crossfire is a multi
> > player game, any method of pausing allows for abuse.

That is the fact that have to accept in form or other. There are
two solution, in single game, freeze by STOP signal and iconify,
in multiplayer games, read scroll of recall and iconify and hope
the best, or prepare it so that you are not interrupted (by boss :).

> >  I suppose this could be made a compile time option.  For some servers,
> > allowing this might be enabled, for others, it would not be.  So those
> > who don't mind people possibly cheating could have it enabled.

There are already too much compile time options for features.
That distrurbs the readability of the code, make managing
of the configuration difficult if you want change the all
code have to compile in practice and makes the code unstable
in case of different feature compinations. Anyway, you (Mark) keep
the release, and if you say the compile time feature options
are ok, they are, but I would not have the capacity to manage
all the combinations.

-- <A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">The Page</A> --