Map ideas

From: David.M.Fisher@Dartmouth.EDU (David M. Fisher)

> 1) Player information directories, not just a file.

These can be saved in player file. Just add a few field in players
struct. When players become normal archetypes, idea was that it easy
to customize every class and it's not hard add this customization
to individual level.

Note that allowing players set their hometown during the game is a very
nice idea indeed. Only problem is that you have to have some kind of control
where you can change your home, so you don't teleport treasure chamber
every time you read word of recall :)

> 2) About the player's home:

I have had similar thougth, but my idea was that there are different type
maps. So maps could have no-reset flag, so in those maps would not
reset between games and all items would be saved also. Rooms could
be designed so that there are gate and button, and button is activated
by players name. Players could buy theirs rooms dropping gold some
altar like item, which would connect button to players name. So thiefs
has their changes :). BTW. Currently buttons can be activated by players
class. These maps could be saved in own directory. The only problem is
multiple servers using same maps same time.

I don't like idea that player could set his home everywhere, better
use normal maps and forget all symlink hacks.

From: "'Evil' ERic Mehlhaff" <mehlhaff@ocf.berkeley.edu>

> In all of the crossfire map setups I've seen, there's a _lot_ of 'closed'
> buildings and so on.  I think it'd be cool to have all the empty city
> buildings and houses connect to a generic city/house/building map.

No. I strongly disagree. Since all those generic/whatever just are
copies and noboby doesn't want to play ten times same house when
there is so many new maps. I prefer that all those closed exit are
removed from maps. And new houses were created when there is actual
some map where it leads. Currently seems that people first design
large areas and after that make few maps and most areas are just
empty. This isn't meant to be a flame, just my personal opinion.

About "." and "..". If we leave out generic maps, "." would be
shortcut for current map name and easy implement. ".." is an interest
idea, but not sure if needed. When the new area is joined to game
area you need edit exit leading in that area anyway, so another way
isn't that hard with current editor. And you probably want check
that area anyway.

Those encounter maps are interesting and I like them. Makes you
little careful when moving outside world. But maybe there could
be some flag in map which tells if map use encounter maps, so
if you have small garden it would not expand the whole forest :).

 -Tero