Re: site for project building

>  I just wonder if any porting would be needed to get it to work properly
> on a Dec Alpha.

I've compiled 0.90-a successfully on Dec Alpha, only had to fix some
minor bugs to make it work.

0.90-a is at the ftp-site, please make patches against only that source.
This means that those who have made changes, will have to get 0.90-a,
then add their changes to that version, and then make a diff against
their changed 0.90-a.  If you break your changes up in separate
patches for different features/bugfixes, you'll make the job of
coordinating all the different patches much easier.

I don't know how Mark Wedel wants to receive patches, email or ftp.
Probably best to put them in the incoming directory and to mail him.

We should probably define a "team", put all those names in a file
somewhere, and add "(C) 1994 Crossfire Developement Team" to
all those "(C) 1992 (me)" (how is this done with nethack?).

About client/server:  I don't think a total rewrite is neccessary, only
a "few" central functions needs to be changed.  I'm afraid the project
might stagnate if we try to do too much at once.  Let's just concentrate
on making a common release first, to spawn some more interest in the game.

Those who haven't, take a look at the TODO file (mostly unchanged since
0.89.2).  There are lots of improvements that have nothing to do
with client/server, which will still need to be done.

Like most others (it seems), I vote for letting the client handle only
display-specific things, like scrolling inventory, clicking on objects,
etc.  No need to transfer the whole objects to the client, only how they
look, what color they have, their animations and a few flags (and
probably a few things that I forgot).  All objects on a map should
probably have a flag for each client, which is set if the object
has been created, moved, or if it has changed in any way since
the given client was told how (and where) it looked.  Note that I
haven't given this careful thought yet..this might not be the most
efficient way of doing things.  And other people probably have more
experience than me on this way of programming.

Hmm, enough ramblings for now...the more I ramble the less gets done 8)

-Frank.