Re: crossfire source ramblings...

I agree with Philip's point of view.  Xaw is a good thing if (and only if)
it is handled only by the client.  This could quickly overload the server
if it had to manage all widgets.  But if the client is in charge of the
display, this should be fine.

Here are several reasons to switch to Xaw:
- It's standard and it's free (Philip already said that).
- If you want to use Motif instead of the Athena Widgets, you don't need to
  change a lot of code.  Most widgets are used in the same way in both systems.
- Several widgets are well-known and provide a common user interface.
- The way to control the widgets through X resources is standard too, and
  they understand the EditRes protocol, so it's easy to play with the widgets.
- Your code gets cleaner.
- I used to hate widgets before I really started working with them.  Once you
  get accustomed to the programming style, your programs become more modular
  and therefore easier to debug.

There are also some disadvantages, but nothing really serious:
- If you don't use shared libraries, the size of the binaries will certainly
  increase.  Solution: use shared libraries!
- The program gets slower because it has more things to cope with.  Solution:
  do all display-related operation in the client.

-Raphael