Re: New version of crossfire: thoughts on distributed maps

 The problem with that map idea, is that the client fetches a map.  There
is nothing preventing the person playing on that client to change the
map file (perhaps add interesting things, or knock the oriental dragons
down to 1 hp or something), and thus get super powers.

 For client server, what might work best is this (at least, this would
be the safest):

 The server keeps track of all the data, including player data.  The only
purpose the client holds is to handle the drawing of data.  It might also
handle certain non criticial areas of animations, such as a fireball
burning down, or taking a magic mapping request and then drawing
the map.  In this way, the best a person running a client could do is gain
extra information.  The map could also be downloaded to the client, so that
a movement would be sent to the server (ie, north), and then the server
would respond to the client to scroll the map down.

 Thus, the client only handles data display.  Someone could hack up the
client as much as they want, but they would not be able to create a supr
character.  Handling input and redraw code, if handled locally, would
reduce the traffic some.

 I already said I would be maintainer.  Unless someone else jumps up,
it looks like I have the job.  Perhaps if Frank could mention this in the
crossfire 0.90 version he put up,  so I get the patches instead of him.
Address of master@rahul.net works fine.

   Mark Wedel
master@rahul.net