Re: Skills!

> From: Peter Mardahl <peterm@soda.berkeley.edu>
>
> In message <MM.770591338.13227.holmenkollen@ifi.uio.no>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn
> _Georg_Ludvigsen?= writes:
> >
> > 'cast line 10 death 10 time 5
> >
> > 'cast ball 3 poison 10 trigger
> >
> >I think this idea is ENORMOUSLY GOOD. What do you think? It WOULD
> >require a complete rewrite of the magic system, but it would make
> >people use spells MUCH more creativly. I most totally love it.
>
>   Uh, please imagine for a second what playing would be like.
> Imagine typing all this garbage in while some monster is pounding
> you.  JOY!
>
>   What would happen is that everyone would bind a small subset
> of these spells to keys.  This is fine, but what is the point?
> Even as it is, people only use a small subset of the spells often.
>
>   I like the idea a lot too, but crossfire is far too quick-paced
> for this.....  It'd be adding a complicated feature which is mostly
> unused.  Better to invest energy in a server-client split.

While this sort of system seems like a good idea it is flawed in a couple
of ways. One, as Peter has pointed out, is that it is too complex. The other
problem is game balance - with a automatic system you can't get the balance
right, so people will soon discover the best spell combination for spell
point cost. You will also not be able to create spells like magic-mapping
or resurrection with this type of system, all the spells will become variations
on a very basic theme.

 I agree with Peter - there are things like client/server which deserve more
attention right now.

Rupert