Re: Skills!

Peter wrote:
>   Weapons skills are related.  The same muscles and experience that
> allows someone to swing a sword around probably also allow him to
> use other weapons effectively also.  It is easier to pick up a second
> fighting skill having learned the body control necessary for one.
> Therefore, even training in a specialty should also be applied in
> part to training in the general skill.

I agree that learning one of two similar thing gives you basic knowledge
in the other.  But to become master in a similar art, you might have to
unlearn something you had assumed were correct due to your experience
in the first art.  This slows you down somewhat.

Another thing, make it automatical...Build up an array describing how
much a character does different things, increase the appropriate number
when hitting with broadsword, when picking a door, when casting certain
types of spells, etc.  Then, when the character advance, give a
static number of "skill points", but _divide_ it among the skills according
to which skills have been used since previous level. Considering
level drain, this should probably look something like:

  enum skills {skill_bow, skill_pick_lock, etc..., nrofskills};

  In player structure:
  int skill_used[MAXLEVELS][nrofskills];

I haven't read all posts lately, hope I'm not suggestion something
which is already discussed to death...

-Frank.

P.S.: Nice mode for wannabe-thieves:
  Halve (or more) movement and search automatically for traps on
  chests/door/floor in the nine squares around character each time he moves
  or could have moved.  Add some animation to show when a trap has been
  discovered, and maybe add some flag, so a chest becomes "a chest (trapped)".
  (Of course, to make it simple we assume the character marks this in
  white chalk, for all the other players to see 8)