Re: xpm slow?

+--- Eric A. Anderson:
| My roomate commented that pixmaps seemed to make things slower.  I
| agreed with him.  This was over a local connection -- e.g. the
| crossfire server and the X server on the same machine.

Now, this shouldn't come as a surprise. If you use pixmaps, you must
send at least 4 times the information to update one square compared to
fonts. In addition, fonts are much better for updating whole lines.

+--- Philip Brown:
| I disagree. The reason pixmaps are slow is because of X overhead.
| the reason fonts ar quicker is because of font mechanisms to reduce
| X overhead.  With client/server models, there wil be NO X
| overhead. hence no problem.

You assume that the limiting factor is bandwidth. Many of us have slow
monochrome X servers which can't really keep up even when running
locally.

So, to get fancy technicolour, you need a reasonably modern
machine (more than ~50k Xstones). What else is new? :-)

Kjetil T.