gzip and Xpm (and funny looking pix)

  OK.  I know I've asked about this before, but the problem hasn't
gone away...
  I'm using Xpm Version 3.4a, and gzip/gunzip 1.2.3 on a NeXT.  If I
compress the crossfire.pix files, I get the following errors:
   Error code BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
   Error creating pixmap /usr/games/crossfire/lib/crossfire.pix.1,
   error -1.
   Error code BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter)
The Xpm manual SAYS XpmReadFileToImage should be able to read gzip'd
stuff with the '.gz' extension, but I sure can't get it to work!
By the way, 'crossfire -server' is running as root, and gzip is in
/usr/local/bin.  Anybody know what to do?  And, if so, PLEASE feel
free to document this somewhere. :)

Thanks, kevin
P.S. sonja.math.virginia.edu is now running v0.91.0
P.P.S. Why do somethings have a black background, when they ought to
be transparent?  Things were fine in v0.90.5...
P.P.P.S. Despite the complaints, things are looking better!  Keep up
the great work everybody!!!