Re: Solo/Multiplayer emphasis

> > > From: KARIM SANJABI <karim@ecst.csuchico.edu>
> >

> > > I really believe that xfire should be designed around a group,
> > > multi user idea.
> > >
> > > Karim
> > >
> > While I think there should be lots of effort put into making Crossfire
> > a good multi-player game, I do not think we should abandon the solo
> > player. For various reasons people can't always play multi-player. I much
> > prefer playing multi-player, but there are often times when it simply
> > isn't possible, so I want to be able to play and enjoy Crossfire solo.
> > Certainly it should be more difficult playing solo, but it shouldn't be
> > impossible.
> >
> > Rupert
>
> I don't agree with this a lot. Crossfire should be mainly a multiplayer
> game. The single player capability could be limited to something like
> playing a MUD alone. If you want to play Crossfire-like games alone,
> why not play Nethack, Ultima, Omega etc...?

Because Crossfire is a _different_ game to all of those, and (in some ways)
better (mostly appearance).
When I buy a PC (to run Linux on, of course) I intend to get Crossfire for
it, but it will *never* have more than one player on it, so I still want
the game playable for solo players - this means that my mage should still
be able to fight, and my fighter should still be able to cast spells.
In other words, at the beginning, perhaps, classes may be distinct, but
at the higher levels, it should still be _possible_ to do _anything_.

> -Sven

David T Cook   e-mail: dcook@spam.adelaide.edu.au   Phone: +61 8 303 5709
Assistant Computer Manager, Stats, Pure and Applied Maths, Adelaide Uni.
"Behind the lines, a face that glimmers. Still looking for a face that shines."
       - Heartland, The Sisters of Mercy