Re: hps of classes

In message <9405240827.AA17140@garnet.cm.cf.ac.uk>, Simon McIntosh-Smith writes
:
>The question being posed is:
>
>	"Why should a wizard with the same CON as a barbarian
>	 not have the same number of hit points?"
>
>Most replies have said they think it would be bad if hps depended on your
>class as well as your CON. I disagree.
>
>A wizard is someone who is naturally more attuned to the mystic arts.
  Why?  Because he is called a wizard?  I'm much more of the "a character
is what he acts like" point of view.  If you play a character in such
a way as to develop fighting skills:  i.e., wearing armour, quaffing
str,dex,con potions, having monstrous weapons, then, by God, that character
IS a fighter.

>Someone mentioned AD&D. Wizards are said to be much weakened by the fact that
>they have few hps. Why do you think this should be? It is because that in AD&D
  Wizards are weaker in this game as well.  I play a wizard all the time,
because wizards RULE!  I've never gotten my wizard past a strength of
20 without using those ridiculous improve weapon scrolls, con is similarly
limited to 21 without heroic measures.  Fighters do have better stats, in
those areas, but they will never reach an int of 28, like my wizards do.
  It is untrue that the classes are equal, and certainly to make a wizard
as good a fighter as he is a wizard would require me to abandon my prized
int of 28.

  Wizards *do* have fewer hitpoints.  Wizards *are* weaker.  Fighters
*are* stupider.  Before the 30pt maximum was installed, you could get
very high stats in all areas, now it's very much harder, and we can
now resolve the differences between the classes much better.

>advantage in playing a mixed party - my barabarian could have all the stats
>and abilities of my friends wizard, and vice versa. Why not make the class
  The only way you're going to get a barbarian smart as a wizard is to
use the improve weapons scrolls to make yourself a super-weapon.
I think the major thing to come out of this argument is the absolute
need to put restrictions on what those weapons can do!

>differences count for more - just enough to make the choice of class
>actually matter!? I personally think that choosing to be a wizard should mean
  It does matter!  I want magic ability, and I pick a wizard every time.
(Fireborns do better in int, but they have *no* ability to use weapons
or armour, which makes them overall weaker despite their fire immunity.)

>you will always have a better command over magic, but you should never be
>as dangerous or robust in melee as a fighter. Similarly I think a fighter
  Wizards are not.  Not unless they neglect their intelligence in favor
of strength, dex, con.

>should know his physical prowess and weapons skills will never be matched by
>anyone except another fighter, while he should be resigned to the fact that
  Which a 'wizard' is, if he invests his time and magic slots for str,
dex, con.

>These changes should be easy enough to implement, in fact to be honest I'm
>surprised it isn't already like this in Crossfire. I'd also favour priests
  It's because this is already the case.  You just want the line more
black-and-white than it is.  Were I you, I'd restrict the improve weapon
scrolls on my server, and increase the stat differential between classes.

Regards,

PeterM