Crossfire portability

I've just had the following comments on Crossfire from someone who found
the Crossfire web pages I maintain (http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk:/Crossfire/)
I believe the guy comes from a PC background, and would like to be
able to play crossfire on his machine without having to install linux
and X ...

----- Begin Included Message -----

>Hope you get to play it some day - it's some game!

Well, I hope you guys make portable code that can be ported to other
platforms..  That is, keep all graphics-related code separate and
replacable with "plug in" code on another computer... basically keeping
input/output a layer removed from the main code, so it can be, with a
reasonably high amount of effort, ported to other machines..

This is definitely doable since more people can get direct (or SLIP) access
to Internet on personal computers.

----- End Included Message -----

Interesting. Is there any reason why Crossfire is an X game? Has anyone
considered porting it to other environments for Amigas, PCs, Macs etc?

Sy