Re: Suggestion for reducing size of map files, ...

> | and make creating new maps significantly faster.

It's very fast in crossedit define the whole map in area and
select archetype and fill the area ;)

> | (I actually think setting a "visibility" attribute for certain objects,
> | like buttons, would be a better approach, but that's another subject.)

Isn't invisible flags just that, at least no magic squares in town
aren't visible ;).

> Yes, the server can transmit the general background type(s) for a map.
> any other things can be placed on top of this background.

I'm more interesting to lower memory requiments used by server than
diskspace used by maps. In this form this only adds memory requiments
for server and not even very little. If that general background isn't
inserted in maps as a true objects, then almost all functions handling
maps have to be changed (mountains slows player movements, etc). Using
regions there is direct effect that this can't be used in the protocol
easily. And bandwidth for floors should be not a problem, since if it
doesn't change it won't be sended.

> This should be very simple to implement without any real loss in
> server execution time but client communications and save file size
> would be potentially enormous.  One map item for every map point
> without any other floor type.

Do a hear a volunteer? ;) Go for it, Mark surely wants to see your patches.
And don't forget good support in crossedit. Only saving you will get is
file sizes, and if this is a real problem, then there is needed the real
solution for it (new map format?), IMHO.

When you are changing a floor code, you could same fix some other annoyed
bugs with the floors. The first one is assumption that floor can't change,
isn't nobody using the editor in xpm mode? Other place was (is?) the
encounter maps. And there are some other places as well (archetype lava,
animated backgrounds). Then there is that 'nice' feature that multipart
objects are saved end of the map file. It generally works well, no titans
under the floor, but try dropping bunch of coins top of multipart building,
enter that building and wait until previous map is swapped to disk, come back
and where's your money? ;)

 -Tero