Re: Monster damage indicators.

You could have a set of different glyphs for the monsters, or have a
set of overlay tiles that are stippled into the rendering for damaged
monsters.

As part of the response to the client, the server could encode the
%damaged information and the client could then select an applicable
rendering mechanism.