Re: difficulties, bugs and notes on crossfire 0.91.4

In message <kiNlSdu__5g9NY4KwS@cs.city.ac.uk>, Nick Williams writes:
>It seems that in version 0.91.4, when failing to disarm a trap, you will
>always trigger the trap, which means for low level characters, you can't
>risk opening any trapped door, and hence cannot get anywhere in the
>game.  Doortraps make the game very hard to get into.

Humm.  My version of the code doesn't do this, it's based on 91.3.  You'll
trigger a trap almost all the time if you:  are a low level character in
a hard dungeon, you have a low dex.  Someone with a dex of 6 isn't going
to have much luck disarming traps!

>The new arrow/projectiles systems is wonderful, however it highlights
>something I feel is wrong with the shop system: you have to have new
>items (tiles) for each type of thing you want to sell.  Why not just use
>the random_treasure style objects and place them onto shopfloors?  Since
>there already is random: food, diamonds, rings, scrolls, spells,
>weapons, armor; the basic shop tiles are already covered.  Using a
>system like this allows you to get rid of the special shop tiles, and to
>be able to sell anything in particular.

  Sure, why not?  If you can do this in such a way as to be backward-compatible
with all the maps, or change all the maps to reflect the different
implementation, AND make it so that the play is no different from the
perspective of a character, then go for it, hack this in.

Regards,

PeterM