Bows-n-Arrows (Re: Enchanted Items)

> > Really I guess there should be more of a spectrum of power in the
> > bow-artifact genre.  Ordinary bows become useless at medium levels,
> > while even the Bow of Auriga is useless at high levels.
>
> I agree that bows tend to be too "wimpy" against higher level
> monsters.

I think weapon damages are clearly flawed here.  Far more people
have been slain by archers than by knights wielding large morning stars,
in fact even a cursory review of historical battles would show that missile
weapons are the definitive technological advantage, regularly defeating
even apparently overwhelming numbers of foot soldiers.  The solution--
up the damage done by arrows (a lot).  To keep game balance the bows'
weapon speed could be modified (or a bow weapon skill could be added, but
that's another discussion entirely).

Remember "The Hobbit"?   An army of axe-wielding dwarves couldn't bruise
that dragon, but one arrow killed him.

--Ken

| Ken Woodruff           | Most Latin words in -us have plural in -i,  |
| woodruff@cadence.com   | but not all, & so zeal not according to     |
+------------------------+ knowledge issues in such oddities as hiati, |
| Disclaimer: What tote  | octopi, omnibi, & ignorami; ...             |
| bag full of $20 bills? |     Fowler, "Modern English Usage"          |