Re: Enchanted Items

In message <199504280007.UAA17812@sps1.phys.vt.edu>, "Michael B. Martin" writes
:

>Hmm, yes, I have a bow of Auriga, and it is fairly powerful I'd say
>(considering how relatively easy they are to come by).  Maybe it
>should be made an artifact?  Or perhaps change it and/or the longbow to
>keep the longbow more powerful?

I think the Bow of Auriga is a great candidate for a weapon which
has weird effects if you use it but are too low-level.  When I made
the weapon I intended it be useful against higher-level monsters.
Even if you have awesome missiles, (3x damage, or whatever short
of assassination) it is VERY hard to actually KILL anything with
bows (anything high-level).

The Bow of Auriga and the Arrows of Assasination (or blessed arrows)
are really intended to prevent missile weapons from becoming
completely irrelevant in high-level dungeons.

Really I guess there should be more of a spectrum of power in the
bow-artifact genre.  Ordinary bows become useless at medium levels,
while even the Bow of Auriga is useless at high levels.

I really wanted to give high level characters something else--another option,
besides spells and enchanted swords--as weapons.

Regards,

PeterM