Hit Points

After playing the latest version I was surprised that I could increase my
hit points by using skills like search. The classical definition of HP's
is "the ability to resist/avoid injury" (in essence). Why does spotting a
trap...an action that has no risk involved increase the character's
ability to avoid injury. I suggest that hit points should be treated as a
skill, with experience being attributed to the skill whenever hand-to-hand
combat exp is recieved. The obvious disadvantage is that mages will rarely
increase their HP's beyond skill level 1. To compensate for this, exp
gained via killing by magic should also increase the "life level" but at a
rate of 50% of the exp recieved. Attacking via missiles should increase
"life level" at a rate of 75% of the full exp gained. These reduced rates
are to reflect the reduced risks involved in ranged attacks.

Hence characters can not become very powerful due to abuse of no-risk
skills (eg. pickpocket, search).