Re: From c to c++ (or even java)

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Mark Wedel wrote:

>  It would seem to me that you would almost always want the server side code in
> C or C++ or something like that - I don't know much about Java, but crossfire
> seems to be a bit huge to sit as a java app.
>
>  What would perhaps be more interesting is to make a java client that somehow
> interacts with the server.  This opens up crossfire to everyone, removes the
> difficulty of having to port clients to every different system type, and does
> achive the long sought after client/server aspect.

some points:

  * crossfire requires peer-to-peer communication with client-
    server architecture (peer-to-peer means there is spontaneous
    data exchange for both direction (server sends maps, client
    send commands) not request-reply, client-server means
    instantiation roles, server up first, client then with
    known server address).

  * in java architecture program (applet) is created and precompiled
    to bytecode in provider site. www browser the makes a request
    for that program, that is then replyed to the browser. browser
    starts plugin java-interpreter that runs byte-code, resulting
    ususally graphical presentation to browser.

  * for crossfire I see there is possible to make java-client,
    that when it's runned makes a connection to cf-server by
    java-network-objects (does this exists ?)

  * for creating server by java is a bit problematic thing
    with java architecture. It might not be reasonable to run
    cf-server on www-browser with java-interpreter (does
    there exist stand-alone java interpreters ?).

more later ;)

<A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">Petri.Heinila@lut.fi</A>