Re: steal abuse

On Dec 6,  2:19pm, Arne Wichmann wrote:
> Subject: Re: steal abuse
> Now for the second half...
>
> Also sprach Mark Wedel:
> > On Nov 30,  2:08pm, Jonathan Hankins wrote:
> > > Subject: Re: steal abuse
> > > On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Brian Thomas wrote:
> >  Having some options like that configurable could be done - but I don't
want
> > that in the config.h file - I really want to move that stuff to some other
> > config file that is read when the game is run - I would like to reduce the
> > amount of code that is conditional compilation, and rather have conditional
> > execution.
>
> I would like to have both ways (at least for some things) so that I
> can play with the options for some time, and later recompile with only
> those enabled that I want, to get the game smaller and faster.

 Some things might always remain configurable.

 The biggest problem with configurable options right now is code maintenance.
 I can verify that the options I compile with work pretty well, but there are
other options out there that I don't use, and might not work at all.  Having
them all be standard would at least insure that the program compiles correctly
either way.

 This should also just clean up the code right now.  In some sections, the
#ifdef, #elses, and so on make things quite messy.

 In terms of space, even with all options, I can't see the size of the code
growing too much (not more than a few hundred K).  If you are using those
options, they will likely sit in swap.  But in either case, with the memory of
systems now days, I can't see of it being a very big deal.

 Ones that affect run time memory should perhaps be more tunable (if something
adds a few fields to each object, that can start adding up to a bit of memory,
that will not necessarily be able to sit on swap.)

> Hmmm... I would like it if the permadeath would be a bit more
> debugged... We run with some local patches over here, to get around
> some problems. But other things remain (maybe we introduced
> them...). I think, I will resend those patches...
>
> cu

 I have never seen any problems with permadeath, and have used it quite a bit.
 Can you be a bit more specific on the problems you are actually having with
it?

--
 --Mark