Re: From c to c++

At 10:06 AM 12/6/95 PDT, W.E.B wrote:
>	I'm working with a group of students here at the University of
>Nevada Reno who'd like to port crossfire to c++. I realize it's under the
>GNU license but would like to hear from some of the people working on it.
>
>If this becomes a reality it would be an upper divisional class in
>porting using crossfire as an example. With any luck, the class would
>first abstract the code into some general classes and then address the
>issues of static versus dynamic code. There are plenty of topics which
>crossfire implements and is an excellent model to be divided up. Hopefully
>the system would be easier to expand and maintain if we were to do a job
>well done.
>
>If you have some ideas/suggestions we'd be very pleased to hear them.
>
>(Btw, I understand the game is in a state of flux and really would like
>to let you know if we decide to do a rewrite/port anytime soon. I'd
>prefer to work with the others already familiar with the system rather
>than against.)
>
>-web
>
> ----------------
>   William Bull
> ----------------
> bull@cs.unr.edu
> Campus Computing
>    Services
> ----------------

Good to hear that someone is interested in this. Crossfire is in DIRE need
of a rewrite,
its the main reason I stopped working on it. It would be great to get some
coding standards
in place and clean up naming conventions for variables. Its really hard to
tell if a pointer
"op" is a player or an object. Its rediculous to name variables like "p",
"i", etc...give them
more meaningful names. Finally, it would be cool if the object structure was
cleaned up, so that
food doesn't mean food if the object is a door.

Tyler.
tvangod@ecst.csuchico.edu
Tyler Van Gorder              Senior Developer             Landacorp
"The opinions contained herein do not represent those of Landacorp."
Nor am I responsible for the Power Rangers.