Re: Sounds (various ideas - long)

> From: Tero Haatanen <Tero.Haatanen@tel.vtt.fi>
>
> > Now the map designer can add "sound owls" to some of his trees.
>
> That was my idea also.  But i think you need other parameter also,
> how large area the sound is heard and that should be able also add
> to each objects.

	I would recomend against having a range for sounds. If you do
	that then there will have to be code calculating what sounds
	a player can hear based on his position. This problem is a
	bit like the lighting code w/ light sources. The amount of
	computational time will scale with the number of "sound-sources".
	BUT, with sounds you have an additional problem in that they
	can occur whether the player moved or not! Yech.

	Unless its done properly a map with several sounds and players
	could bring the game to a crawl on most systems.

					b.t.