Re: Spell setting

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Mark Wedel wrote:

> On Dec 8, 11:39am, Karl Hagen Geppert wrote:
> > Subject: Re: Spell setting
> > Jari Vanhala quite definitely said [typed]
> >
>  Well, there are somewhere around 130 spells or so.  But a good number of those
> are not spells that can be learned (they are either 'monster' spells or things
> that potions, rods, etc do.)
>
>  So if we have 100 spells, that is still a lot of keys.  But one issue I find
> is that many of those spells aren't used very often (if you have major healing,
> how often do you use minor healing?)
>
>  I agree that you can start to run out of keybindings, but each key can be
> bound with 3 different combinations..
>
>  I doubt command completiong will be done anytime soon.  If you can't remember
> commands, you can always type help and it will show you all the commands. (and
> if you can't remember it, then how often do you end up using it?)
>
>  Also, you can bind keys to leave them in command mode.  Thus, you could bind a
> key (with the -e flag) so that when you press the key it does 'cast rune of ',
> and leaves off at that point for you to enter the last part of it (fire, frost,
> shocking, blasting, etc.)
>
>  I suppose if you were really creative, you could do the same thing with
> minor/major, small/medium/large, protection from ..., etc.
>
>  I will add in something so that it will match substrings or soemthing when it
> prints a list.
>
>  I also want to do more with output, so that it will actually do a page thing
> for all output, if enough is spit out fast enough (right now, there are various
> places that have paging specificly in place, that also makes the code messy.)
>  By doing it via generic buffering, it should add htings and clean up some of
> the code.
>

> --
>  --Mark

I'm new to this list, and the game.  But I'm a high-novice programmer,
with a 14th level character already, so I have some idea of the stuff
going on.

I have an idea..  Multiple commands per bind would be great.  For
example, some people liek to run alot of the protection spells together,
at least I do.  It would be great to be able to have one key that runs a
bunch of spells at once.  Also thought about some of the larger enemies
I've found in crossfire, how they cast all kinds of stuff at once.  Be
nice to match that. :>

Thanks,

Link