Re: Spoiler generation (was Re: reading books)

On Tue, 26 Dec 1995, Michael B. Martin wrote:

> If you would like a suggestion, perhaps all (new) documentation should
> be written in HTML.  Converting to a plain text file would be fairly

I a bit disagree with HTML, because converting from HTML to
paged format is a hard (there exists no converters (GF (SGML ->
HTML-DTD + text -> LaTex etc) indeed exists but is a bit hard
to use).

> simple (I believe many browsers, Netscape in particular, can do this).
> Or, better yet, take a look at the Linux Documentation Project (LDP).
> If I understand this right, they are writing the docs in SGML, which
> can then be translated into HTML, plain text, UN*X man page
> (troff/nroff) format, etc.  Nicely flexible.

LDP might be, I don't know, should examine can it handle images
etc.

I think using LaTeX with latex2html is fair sufficient, but also
it would be on the one other hand good if the format could converted
to other presentation forms as well (troff, rtf, ..).

> For those of you pushing for "alternate" languages/character sets in
> crossfire, someone could probably even write a converter for that, too
> (e.g. HTML -> Elven :-).  The reason the runic alphabet used in the
> Ultima series of games was so cool is that your character's
> proficiency was exactly *your* proficiency.  Much more realistic than
> having some sort of automatic translation if your character happens to
> know the language.

Maybe total language conversion would made understanding
difficult, but eg. runic characters in spell/prayer names
are defininetly fine.

<A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">Petri.Heinila@lut.fi</A>