Environment problems

Finally got crossfire-0.91.8 to install on the HPUX9000 system here.
Compiled correctly too (though for some reason, if I type crossclient
with no switches, it says it is unable to fix font path).

I have tried to execute: crossclient -pix -server crossfire.csua.berkeley.edu
on 2 different stations.  One is a PC running Exceed for windows.
The other is the unix station/HPUX9000 box directly.  I get the same
error, "Unable to add <host.names as set by env var DISPLAY",
followed by "Unable to open <host.name:0.0>".

Is there some environmental var I need to set? So close, but so
far....