Re: Merged proposal

Here are some my comments about presented ideas.  It repeats probably
little too much, but since there are so many ideas and the same ideas
are called with different names, it hopefully makes clear what I talk
about.

[Player bitmaps]

The one solution would be that each race (and/or profession) would
have a pool bitmaps where player could choose what to use.  This
would be a simple and flexible solution.  And human can't look like a
wraith :).  And if player wants to more customized bitmap, the server
god could add it to server side, so the control is still server's
side.

[add_player_experience()]

It's a good idea, but hopefully prototype is thought before implementation.
The killer and killed needs to be objects but is there objects for
every possible ways to gain experience?  Also the function itself should
be implemented so that it wont be another mega function,  there are
already too many of them :(

[skill implementation]

Since skills don't need many attributes (name, type, how hard learn, how
good player is with that skill, level, exp, ...), the easiest way is
make them as archetypes.  How they are handled internal is a different
thing.  The most important question is that does NPC have same skills as
players?  If they have then memory requiments have to considered.  If
they are handled as invisible inventory objects then it slows both the
normal inventory handling and skill handling code.  Since each skill
needs only about 16 bytes memory it also wastes memory.  The simple and
efficient method is make a pointer to a skill table or a pointer to table
of skills pointers.  This would need some own code for skills and looses
flexibility that object only solution offers, but also removes many
other problems, IMHO.

["associated" and "miscellaneous" skills]

But aren't these same, "miscellaneous" skill is just "associated" skill
that have attribute which tells it gives 0 exp. points when used ?
Or a "miscellaneous" catecory is just like other 4/6 categories, but
experience is always ignored.

[Experience categories / hp / wc]

Could Brian or Peter present a little more detailed proposition?
I'm confused what you are really doing with experience.  The latest
proposition seems to be that there are 4/6 skill categories that
have level and experience. The "associated" skills are binded to
these categories.  Is these categories implemented as inventory
objects or only the skills?  How the proposed system are going to
give more hps?  If it based only for fighting experience then it wizard
has very hard to advance. I assume that mana and grace depends on
magical and clerical experience, right?  Where these categories'
exp/level are really used for?  How new skills can be learned?
Also is there limitations how good or easily player can learn
these skills?

[Experience as "currency"]

I'd like Ken's idea (maybe because have same kind system in my mind :)
Peter said that it would require guilds but I have disagree (of
course they could be used).  The specialization don't prevent
a single player games, but make them more interesting, IMHO.

[Score]

I think it can be dropped, since even now highscore list only tells
high level players in the game.

  -Tero