Re: An "easy" MU/Fighter balance fix?

In message "Re: An "easy" MU/Fighter balance fix?",
'peterm@csua.berkeley.edu' writes:

[stuffs deleted]

>My philosophy of the game is that you are what you do:  an elf might have
>a predilection for wizardry (stat bonus) but if instead he slashes
>things dead or shoots them with arrows, it is his fighting which
>improves and not his magic.

   Hmm...then why have any classes or races; why not have just one and the
skill of the player depends on what the player does.  Or perhaps you feel
that classes/races only contributes to the initial characteristics of
a character; which is a good assumption but an unrealistic one.
   Races could served as inborn abilities and determine the initial
characteristic of a player while classes can served at how well a particular
character may advance in a particular skill/characteristics.  It is the
decision of picking which races and classes that makes the game more
challenging.
   Personally, I think there will be a balance and it will be determined not
by the people doing the coding/designing of the game but the players.  The
best design is one that allow flexible changes dictated by the players.

>The four class idea also brings balance to the game easily:  you
>simply make it harder to advance in MU levels.
>
>Additionally, I'm prepared to back up my 4-class proposal with coding.
>Many of those who advocated having a multitude of skills were willing
>to "help", but I didn't see any volunteers to be responsible for it.

   I think for starter we can experiment with the 4 classes/races because
of its simplicity.  However, if your design/coding is flexible enough to
allow expansion of additional classes/races, it would be great.

>Regards,
>
>PeterM

Regards,

 __  __/  /   /   __  /    |   /    Tuan T. Doan
    /    /   /   /   /   / |  /     IEC Layer Testing and Advance Technology
   /    /   /   __  /   /  | /      2201 Lakeside Blvd.  P.O. Box 833871
__/  ______/ __/ __/ __/  __/       Richardson, TX 75083-3871
"It's a kind of magic" -Highlander  Phone: 214-684-4575   Fax: 214-684-3716
Internet:  tdoan@bnr.ca             WWW: http://47.53.64.96/tdoan/tdoan.html