Re: Starting at levels greater than 1

Warning! This mail contains spoilers!!!

>  woodruff@cadence.com (Ken Woodruff) writes:
>
> I've been thinking about some mechanism for allowing players to start at
> a level higher than one since for experienced users the early levels become
> just a mad dash to gain experience as quickly and easily as possible without
> providing much fun.  However, I don't want to let new users wade through the
> low levels with overpowered characters.

	Is it really that painfull and long? Once upon a time several
 of the people at PSU had a 'tournament' wherein the winner was the one
 with the most experienced character after an hour of play (without cheating
 of course :). Someone was able to rack up a 8th or 9th level character in that
 time. Of course, some character classes will rise faster than others, but
 a general strategy is possible for quick advancement. 1) gain enough
 treasure to buy several wands of summon elemental. 2) goto admin building
 in brest and use them in the 10 armies area. You will watch your experience
 jump very high, very fast this way. If you are seeking artifacts, go to
 the hole in the ground (mineshaft - I believe the map is called xyzz-mines)
 there are potentially 4 artifacts easily recoverable by a 8-10th level
 character. The 2 guarded by the titan are especially easy to get. (I would
 recogmend these maps be fixed BTW)

> I propose that after a character has been rolled that the user should be prompted
> for a desired starting level.  The user would then be asked several questions to
> ensure that they have sufficient knowledge of the game to deserve that starting
> level.  Only if the user successfully passes the quiz will they be allowed to
> start at that level.

	Its a thought. But all one has to do is take a look at the code to
get the answers! A lot of work for nothing if you ask me.

 							-b.t.