Re: Skills in CF

>  There just never has been a clear consesus on what/how to change the
> classes around.  Many people like the present approach with classes only
> really reflecting stat bonuses.  Changing it to a skill system is a big
> change, and not everyone agrees that that is a good idea.

	Hmm. I guess I didnt think that it would be that big a change.
	To me, skills are not to be the basis of play, rather a 'spice'
	to enhance play. Perhaps some classes might start with a skill,
	perhaps not. There would be no limitation on kind or number of
	skills aquired (and it just might be difficult to acquire them
	too). I would advocate have skills be about as useful as a nice
	magic item -- like a rod with a good spell. Really, my outlook
	would be to treat skills as 'treasure'.

	I did look at the code. All that is needed to use the stealing
	skill is the player gaining the skill_stealing arch in their
	inventory. It would appear that the basis for creating a full
	fledged skill code already exists in CF (indeed, some of the skills
	I suggested are suggested in comments in the skills.h file!)

	If having skills in CF is so contentous, why is the code there??

						b.t.